The Ways and Means Committee is asking for input on Social Security NOW
The House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Social Security is putting together a bill to improve Social Security benefits. There is a bill proposed to modify the WEP (HR.2337) and another to REPEAL both penalties (H.R. 82). We need to tell them to REPEAL BOTH penalties as part of their wide-ranging reform.
Your letter should:
Request total repeal of both the WEP and the GPO!
Identify yourself– They require: Your name, address, telephone. Also say if you’re retired (or not) from what kind of work and where.
Explain your penalties, let them know your: approximate years of a pension, years of SS, years being married and/or dependent spouse.
If you wish: How much money you lose per year or have lost.
Added comments, choose a couple of these:
- Employers never were required to tell workers that their pension would affect or eliminate their earned Social Security benefits until 2005.
- Women are less likely to have the “substantial earnings” to mitigate the loss from the WEP.
- Your pension was earned separately from Social Security and is taxed differently than Social Security in different states.
- 83% of the people affected by the GPO are women.
- 71% of those affected by the GPO lose ALL their Social Security benefits.
- Both offsets penalize lower income workers more than they do those with higher pensions–reversing the the intent of Social Security to support lower income workers.