Send Your Story to Congress by noon next Tuesday, June 29!
The Ways and Means Committee is asking for input on Social Security NOW
The House Ways and Means Subcommittee on Social Security is putting together a bill to improve Social Security benefits. There is a bill proposed to modify the WEP (HR.2337) and another to REPEAL both penalties (H.R. 82). We need to tell them to REPEAL BOTH penalties as part of their wide-ranging reform.
Your letter should:
Request total repeal of both the WEP and the GPO!
Identify yourself– They require: Your name, address, telephone. Also say if you’re retired (or not) from what kind of work and where.
Explain your penalties, let them know your: approximate years of a pension, years of SS, years being married and/or dependent spouse.
If you wish: How much money you lose per year or have lost.
Added comments, choose a couple of these:
- Employers never were required to tell workers that their pension would affect or eliminate their earned Social Security benefits until 2005.
- Women are less likely to have the “substantial earnings” to mitigate the loss from the WEP.
- Your pension was earned separately from Social Security and is taxed differently than Social Security in different states.
- 83% of the people affected by the GPO are women.
- 71% of those affected by the GPO lose ALL their Social Security benefits.
- Both offsets penalize lower income workers more than they do those with higher pensions–reversing the the intent of Social Security to support lower income workers.